Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Time for a new driving mix

It's been a long time since I've made or contributed to making a mix cd. In fact, I think the last time I did so was back at the Annette, and that was only to add one or two suggestions to Meister Young's master mix. Listening to my XM radio is a great way to spend my commute, but too often, the rhythm of my trip has been disrupted by an unexpected playing of Soft Cell's Tainted Love. Now, don't get me wrong - I love Tainted Love, and I will sing my heart out when it comes on the radio, but it's best enjoyed in the environment of something like a karaoke bar.

Everybody prefers his/her own thing when driving. What works for one person might cause an immediate change-the-channel reaction in another. I personally think it doesn't get any better than when you're cruising down the highway and listening to Dire Straits' Down to the Waterline. However, I know that my musical knowledge is rather limited, and I'm open to suggestions.

So, help me out! Let me know what music makes you glad you commute forty miles each way. I'm going to make two cd's. The first will be for more upbeat, hip, swinging music. I'll probably put something on from Beck. The second, predictably, will be for more mellow, nighttime driving. Elliott Smith would fit in well here. Suggestions for songs are welcome in the Comments section. Or, you could email them to me at meatsweatsjk@yahoo.com.

I want songs that I know and love and agree make for great driving music, and I want songs that I didn't know existed and would be grateful to hear. If you're suggesting something more obscure, maybe you should send the actual song to me. Once I get enough good suggestions, I'll post the playlists here. After I make the things, I'll send you a copy if you want one.

Finally, try to stay away from songs that are already about driving. Though I like Incubus's Drive, I feel like including it would be too easy. Oh, and Rj, if you suggest anything from Garth Brooks, I'm going to slap you.

COL-LA-BO-RATE GOOD TIMES, COME ON!!!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anything by Neil Diamond is great for morale. Especially if you know all the words, and the person with you doesn't.

5/03/2005 7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for the upbeat one my latest song obsession is Mr Brightside by The Killers. I listen to it, oh, 3 or 4 times in one subway ride. For the quiet one, I'm gonna throw my vote in for 1979 by smashing pumpkins. that song is *so* driving-down-a-dark-empty-road-filled-with-teenage-angst. if you're into that sort of thing.

5/03/2005 9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anything by SUBLIME, ALLMAN BROTHERS

5/03/2005 11:20 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

-For the drive home, i find any song by Keane to be relaxing. but not in a nod-off and crash your car kinda way.
-An upbeat tune to turn heads would be the Egg and I.
-in case you give in to an easy suggestion: speedracer (hardcore mix) by Alpha Team

5/04/2005 7:11 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

if i were you i would put the b side of abbey road on the mellow mix... but that's just me. for the more upbeat there are some offspring song that crack me up and would put me in a great mood (I think there is a lot of "alternative" musice from the late 90's that would fit this bill)

5/04/2005 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know less about music than anyone (have never bought a CD in my life), but the Peter Gunn Theme from the blues brothers would be my pick if I had to choose.

5/04/2005 2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! That'd be especially key for driving around Chicago's seedy underbelly (aka Lower Wacker).

5/04/2005 3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CDs i listen to most on my 45+ minute commute are: Counting Crows (anything on that CD except mr jones and round here, and i do like mrs potter's lullaby especially), STP, and Shania (the upbeat stuff, except for That don't impress me much). I think i'm going to be listening a bit to 50 talking about his hoes and PIMP as well when i get that cd.

5/05/2005 3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and of course Friends in Low places. that song connects with me for some reason...

5/05/2005 3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elvis Costello - Pump It Up
Erasure - Little Respect
Queen - Fat Bottomed Girls

5/05/2005 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home