Wednesday, October 26, 2005

On the chopping block

Dear Frazz,

As you may already know, I keep a very tight rein on the comics I read each day. I do wish that Yahoo would widen its daily comic strip selection so I could enjoy some of my perennial favorites, but I digress...

The real issue is that interest in your comic is waning in the 20-30 yr old, Asian-American-males-named-Jed demographic. We feel that although your premise seems promising (the antics and ideas of children are almost endlessly hilarious), your strips lack the ingenuity of those others that have preceded you. More specifically, we're a little put off by the fact that your comic's hero seems to be a bleak vision of Calvin's janitorial future after he grows up and forgoes his tiger foil. Readers who were initially drawn to your comic by Frazz's visual similarity to Calvin are now being repelled by his smarminess. To put it frankly, Classic Peanuts is far outstripping you in the target population. Unless you dramatically improve your product within the next few weeks, I fear you will share the same fate as Dilbert (whose link no longer even shows up as ever having been visited). A deal with Gary Larson over potential "Classic" syndication of Farside is currently being negotiated.

I am sorry to have been so harsh, but every minute spent reading your comic is one less that could be reserved for reading the Onion. Please inform your colleague For Better Or For Worse that she can soon expect a letter from me as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home