Thursday, September 29, 2005

More Out-Of-Context Fun

Dick Tracy is only palatable as a comic if you look for that one really odd frame that is bound to appear and examine it completely out of context.
For instance:


But this kind of fun isn't limited to Dick Tracy comics. You can use it to improve almost anything! Like movies. One of my favorite movie scenes out of context is from M. Night Shyamalan's Signs. I'm not going to set it up, because it would make the scene less funny. Instead, here is a direct excerpt from the script, courtesy of The Internet Movie Script Database. Graham is played by Mel Gibson.


GRAHAM
I don't want to hear anymore talk
like that. And I don't want to see
anymore faces like the ones I'm
looking at.
We are going to enjoy this meal.
Nothing can stop us from enjoying
this meal! Enjoy!

Bo sits next to her three glasses of water and begins to cry.

GRAHAM
Stop crying!

MORGAN
Don't yell at her!

Morgan's face is hard, but tears start to fall anyway.
Graham watches as both his children cry at the table.

GRAHAM
Fine, if you all don't want to eat,
then I'm going to have some of
everything.

Graham takes big scoops of every dish and piles it on his
plate. He digs his fork into the pile and starts to shove it
in his mouth. He swallows.

GRAHAM
This tastes so great.


After this, the kids start to cry really hard. I just love that Mel Gibson is a monster who eats his children's food and makes them cry. I'm guessing he suggested a rewrite of the script to include snippets from his own childhood. If you own the movie and have the chance to watch the one-minute cut, I strongly urge you to do so. It's breathtaking.

Do you have any suggestions for other scenes that are great out of context? Email them to me at meatsweatsjk@yahoo.com, and I will include them in later posts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home