Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Media track and field day

Today I'm going to discuss all things media-related.

First up: Music. Namely, Neil Diamond. The radio stations around here have been playing a track from Neil Diamond's new album. This is odd, because I consider the stations that I patronize to be hip and cool and not the types to play Neil Diamond songs (although, I do enjoy a rousing bout of "Sweet Caroline" come karaoke time). Their justification for playing it is that Diamond's newest album was produced by Rick Rubin, the brilliant mind behind many great works ranging from the Beastie Boys' Licensed to Ill to Johnny Cash's award-winning final series of albums. In fact, Rubin's success with Johnny Cash may be the reason he did Twelve Songs with Neil Diamond. The same formula's there: aged has-been performer, gruff yet melodic voice, surname denoting monetary value. Sounds like he might have another Grammy winner!

Except that I can't make myself be impressed with this song. They adhered pretty strictly to the Rubin/Cash formula and even tried to steal some of Cash's dark personality, but it doesn't work. Unlike Cash who sounded tired and truly broken on Hurt, Diamond still sounds pretty much the same as he always has. To hear him croon "Hell Yeah!" (the song's title, by the way) over and over again makes him sound less like a weathered, hardened old songmaster and more like Neil Diamond doing an impression of Will Ferrell doing an impression of Neil Diamond. If anything, this song will serve to make those SNL sketches that much better.

Next up: Television. Namely, "Firefly". After "Serenity" turned out to be an entertaining film, we decided to borrow the series it was based on from Netflix. Now we're hooked. I've been wondering why I never watched "Firefly" while it was on television, but now I remember that it's probably because I so relished mocking "Buffy" fans. Now my life has shifted from making fun of Joss Whedon to wishing every day that I could be him. CURSE YOU GODS OF IRONY!!!

Next up: Movies. Namely, "Brokeback Mountain". I don't really have much to say about this other than that I hope to God there's a scene where they eat pudding. Let's see how many of you get that reference.

Finally: Books. Ah, who am I kidding? I don't read no books.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pudding?!? I don't get it. Is it dirty?

12/07/2005 12:37 AM  
Blogger Skim said...

No. Just weird. It's a South Park reference.

12/07/2005 12:23 PM  
Blogger curious m said...

Young gay cowboys and pudding--could this be the new Oscar formula?

12/07/2005 5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

even Johnny Cash covered Neil,and named a whole album after a Neil song.

dumbass,Neil wrote his songs,not sang Trent Reznor's words.

12/07/2005 7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oo. Looks like you touched a nerve. Neil Diamond, is that you?

12/08/2005 8:10 AM  
Blogger Skim said...

Perhaps it is. I'm still trying to figure out what this has to do with anything I wrote. I'm also confused as to how I could be criticized by a diehard Neil Diamond fan. Will you try to kill me if I pan Barry Manilow?

12/08/2005 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never posted in your blog before, but as a Joss Whedon fan I had to.....

Firefly is excellent, and thank God Joss had an opportunity to wrap it up a bit with Serneity (which was also EXCELLENT). If you've mocked Buffy fans (Grrrr Argh!) I reccommend you work your way backwards. Try Angel next. Its seriously dark, and extremely funny, which sounds like it'll be right up the proverbial alley.... Then Buffy. I started my Joss addiction with Season 5 Buffy, but Season 4 should also work. Don't start with 1-3 because even though they are EXCELLENT, the characters are young (at shcool). And don't worry, you'll go back and watch them anyways, I guarantee it..... Buf-Fi

12/09/2005 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home