Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Maybe they should call it Slaver Joe's

M's been feeling a little under the weather lately, so I stopped by Trader Joe's on the way home to pick up some sick-time necessities. When I got there, I saw that the shelves were largely empty, so I asked the nearest stockboy what was up. He said, "We didn't get any trucks in last night, and none came in this morning, but everything should be back to normal tomorrow. Sorry." Now, what could have kept their deliveries from arriving? Could it just be coincidence that this happened the same day that immigrants across the country boycotted work? Perhaps, but that would be a pretty large coincidence.

Did anyone else visit their neighborhood TJ's? Was it as barren as Mother Teresa's womb? I suspect the reason behind Mr. Joe's extremely reasonable prices may not be his relentless pursuit of quality goods, as he would have us believe, but because of cheap labor by undocumented workers. Should I run an expose? Eh, I like things the way they are.

Cue furious comments...

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Toledo isn't good enough for a Trader Joe's.

Great analogy about Mother Teresa.

Feel better soon, M.

5/03/2006 6:07 AM  
Blogger RJW said...

having read the TJ Adventure book, i'm definitely sold on their party line of cutting out the middle man. however, your post has enlightened me, i think you should do the expose. how else do you really make $2 wine if you don't have illegals picking grapes for $.50/hour

5/03/2006 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home