Friday, June 17, 2005

Parking War (parental advisory)

For those of you who don't know, I have been in heated battle with the UCSD parking office. This battle consists of them fining me exorbitant prices ($341 in less than two months) and me paying them and suffering aneurysms every day. The parking situation here is atrocious - there aren't any free parking spaces that don't require a half-hour walk. There are far more parking lots and spaces than could possibly be filled, yet they still severely punish those who buck convention by forging passes to park in those vast, empty wastelands.

Apparently, the only way to appease the parking dictatorship dickheadcocksuckingmotherrimmingassholedictatorshipFUCKFUCKFUCK SHITBITCHESSONSOFWHOREMOTHERFUCK is to have 70+ dollars removed from my monthly pay so that I can receive a staff parking pass. I have chosen not to go this route since I only work part-time, and that fee would not only strain my limited budget but also, in my mind, be tantamount to moral suicide. Not to mention that the fucking fuck-fucks already took more from me than a yearly parking pass would have fucking cost! FUCK! They do offer (and this is admittedly my fault for not having taken advantage of it) a free shuttle that you can take from off campus to your place of work. HOWEVER, I called the parking office yesterday and found that the shuttle doesn't run when class isn't in session nor does it operate during summer session. According to the lady I spoke to, it isn't viable for the university to run the shuttles when so few people would use them. Here is a brief, verbatim portion of our conversation:

Me: So, you're saying the only way for someone to get to campus right now would be to drive and pay for parking?

Her: Yes...blah blah blah


I pose this question for my law-student friend, Frank and also for anyone who wants to add anything, "Is this an actionable offense?". Could someone sue to have them either reinstate the shuttle or provide free parking? Here's another, "Does anyone know how to break open parking meters and remove $341 in coins from them?".

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have nothing to say to that. I just hate seeing that "0 COMMENTS" thing. It makes you look desperate.

6/17/2005 5:42 PM  
Blogger RJW said...

sorry dude. perhaps you can rollerblade from the far parking lot to the office. a half hour walk is about a 7 minute skate. it doesn't look like you're going to win the battle with the f-ing parking nazi's there.

6/18/2005 9:43 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

Maybe if you band together enough complaining commuters, you might have a shot at some sort of crazy class-action law suit, but the chances are extremely slim. RJ's employers (the Fed's) aren't too keen on the class action suits anymore, and I hear have made it pretty tough to file one.

To answer your other question, just drive into the meter. I think once it tips over, it's like a fountain of quarters. :)

6/19/2005 10:02 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

after the malibu was stolen, i have a special hatred for cities and their ticketing policies.

you could make the $341 back by putting only $10 on 18 playing roulette...

6/20/2005 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home