Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Cover letter

Dear Human Resources Department at Elsevier,

I am writing to apply for the position of Journal Administrator you advertised for on your website; however I’m having a little difficulty with the process. You see, I have always hated the application process for anything: school, internships, jobs, etc… Nothing is more humbling than self-examination and subsequent self-dismissal. Not that I wouldn’t be well-qualified for the position (after all, it’s pretty much just grading papers, isn't it?), it’s just that I usually don’t do well with the initial resume/cover letter step. Cover letters especially.

It might have helped if I could have addressed this letter to an actual person. Every cover letter template that I’ve looked up stresses the importance of identifying an addressee, but when I called, your receptionist wouldn’t give me a name, just “Human Resources.” Now I can’t figure out what tone to strike, since I don’t know who or how many might actually read this letter. Also, it just feels ridiculous to write a letter to a department instead of a person. I can’t be the only one who feels this way.

Anyway, I feel that I would be a good fit for your company, because…becauuuuuuuse...I have always gotten along with my coworkers? Because I always wear clothes to work? I really don’t know what else to say that would impress you. I went to college, so I know how to read and write. I have a history doing boring work in scientific fields, but you could see all that from my resume.

That’s another thing. You asked for a copy of my “cv”. For a position that prefers but doesn’t require a college education, don’t you think asking for a curriculum vitae is a bit hoity-toity? I thought only academics have cv's. I have a resume. It’s not as impressive as a cv, but at least I got rid of that bit about working in a bagel shop.

Getting back to things, I’d like to work for you, because I’ll be applying to programs that contrast greatly with my science background, and having a reference letter from someone in your company would help my cause a lot. Also, I learned a bunch of grammar in high school when I should’ve been learning literature, and I’d like for that to pay off finally. Also, you’re really close to where I live, so I’d always be in on time, and it’d save me a fortune in gas.

I’ve attached a copy of my resume. I will contact you within the next week to discuss any further information you might require. Thank you for your time.


Sincerely,

J Kim

p.s. I didn't forget to mention my salary requirements. I just always feel like money matters are rude to mention in a letter.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the cover letter I have always wanted to write, and then use.

9/07/2005 12:37 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

"I learned a bunch of grammar in high school when I should’ve been learning literature."

my mom goes into fits whenever i tell her this fact. We learned NOTHING.

9/07/2005 4:45 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

NOTHING

9/07/2005 4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home