Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Reading Lolita in SoCal

Actually, I haven't even cracked it open. I bought it months ago at a used book sale for fifty cents. I always meant to read it - it was supposed to make me smarter - but I forgot about it in all the mad rush that is my life (television, eating, etc). I found it tattered and dusty while packing up some of our stuff for the move, and I am ashamed of myself and my abandoned goals. Now I'm going to forgo all television - except Project Runway because we shouldn't make ourselves crazy - until I've finished it. But before I start, I've decided to write a little book report based on what I already know about it. If the book actually ends up the same as or worse than what I report, I'll never read another book again.



Lolita
by David Nabokov

Lolita is a good book. It was written in the twentieth century by the great Russian novelist, David Nabokov. Nabokov wrote many books in his lifetime, but they were all basically the same. Lolita is the best version.

The main character is a teacher who has a debilitating disease that makes him shake and cough. One day, he meets a young girl who is half his age, and he falls in love with her. Her name is Lolita. She likes him too, so they go on a trip together across the Wild West. In Russia, the Wild West is called Siberia, which is a cold and barren place most of the time. However, they went during the summer, so it was pleasant. On their travels they meet many interesting people, but they can't stay at any one place too long, because they are being chased.

The saddest but best part of the story is when the man has to pretend that Lolita is his daughter in the lobby of the motel so that the owner will let them stay and not get arrested. He tells her to wait outside by the bus stop, because she always stands too close to him and it makes people suspicious. While she is waiting, it starts to rain and she gets soaked. It turns out all right, though, because he comes to get her in his car, which is warm and dry.

The best part of the story is at the end when it turns out the man is a murderer but that he is sorry for what he did and only gets arrested for that and not also for having sex with an underage girl.

Lolita is a fun book. If you like stories about girls and cars, you'll love this book.

But don't take my word for it...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

David?

7/19/2006 9:38 AM  
Blogger Skim said...

Oops. There goes my "A".

yxsplgq

7/19/2006 12:23 PM  
Blogger RJW said...

you should edit wikipedia's entry and put that in. it'll last at least 30 seconds.

7/21/2006 5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home