Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Wellbutrin

The commercial for Wellbutrin disturbs me. Having only seen it once, I'm not quite sure what it is about it that bothers me. There's definitely something off with the dialogue. I can't remember exactly what they say, but each endorsement just comes off as creepy. The last one especially sticks in my mind. A woman, who may or may not be on a horse, looks at the camera and says, "I like that there's little risk of sexual side effects." This alone warrants further investigation. I found an old article on Salon.com
that talks about Wellbutrin's sexual side effects. Apparantly, Wellbutrin not only has little negative sexual side effects, it improves the sex lives of many of its users. This article was written four years ago. You'd think that they would've performed all the studies necessary to call this a sex wonder drug. Yet today they merely say "little risk of sexual side effects". Did they find something unappealing in those studies? Why can't I find out what it is?

Watch out for the commercial. It was on Comedy Central last night during the Chappelle Show, which brings up another interesting question. Does Dave Chapelle provide therapy for the depressed, or is he furthering their depression? If it's the latter, is it because he makes us see that we could never be as funny as him?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home