Sunday, July 17, 2005

Nerd Day

Yesterday, I began my plight to become a radio journalist by attending the San Diego Comic Convention - the largest of its kind in the U.S. and quite possibly, world. Megan dropped me off, and I trod, backpack-laden, to the front entrance where I joined a throng peopled with many other similarly-encumbered asian males. That my backpack was filled with documentary equipment while their's perched empty, hungrily awaiting comic book's and naked-lady dolls, was not readily apparent. So, I quickly opened mine up and removed a camera with which I immediately began snapping pictures. I think I got one of another guy doing exactly the same thing. He was wearing face paint and wings. Somewhat ashamed, I continued into the convention center.

As this was my first foray into any journalistic enterprise, I was unsure at first where to find the hot stories, so instead I prepped my gear for about half an hour. This was a bit tricky as I had to secure no less than four separate components to my body all of which trailed six-foot cords. I still had to wear my backpack, too. I was soon overheated and a bit sweaty.

I saw many many many loser/freak-ish types that I was certain would provide great interview material, but I was a bit intimidated by the fervor they exuded. Instead, I spent the next few hours talking to more normal-looking people who provided nice, normal-sounding interviews that would put ADHD kids to sleep. Chalk it up to a learning experience. At least I know that my equipment works.

Tired of walking, sweating, and rubbing up against aroused fat guys (lots of naked-lady dolls), I called my girlfriend to come pick me up. Stopping by the bathroom on my way out, I caught a glimpse of myself decked out with all my gear and electrical tape hanging off me, perspiring and sporting a bright, red backpack. Clearly, I was the biggest nerd at the convention.

I went home determined to return in a few hours to document the annual costume masquerade and contest. If there was anything that could redeem my dignity, it was interviewing and photographing and judging these people. Instead, I got caught up in the new Harry Potter book and read it for the next ten hours.


Today, I rescued six supermodels from shark attacks and copulated with all of them while composing the next rock anthem. Nice how these things even out in the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home