Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Wiccan out

It's the first day of summer - also the longest day of the year. So why's it so dark out? If tomorrow (technically today) is the longest day, then does that make tonight the shortest night? Or is that tomorrow night? Which should I celebrate - day or night? Day signifies youth, life, liveliness, intensity, industry. Night, for me, has always been a time for quiet introspection watching Conan O'Brien and eating anything I can get my hands on. I wish I loved the day instead of the night.

I guess it's settled then - I celebrate the shortest night of the year. And I think I know how. Earlier, I watched Megan fall gently asleep. Now I'm going to stare at her until she wakes up.

Tonight I learn how to live as a cat. I will spend every dark minute alerted to even the smallest mouse's breath. I will learn how to see in the dark and how to steal souls from the sleeping. And if I should fail at any of these attempts, if she or I should awake in the morning, who could fault me? It is after all, a very short night.