Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Penultimate Mix Tape

Remember this post? Well it's three months later, and I'm happy to say that I've finally finished the list. Thanks to all for the great suggestions and sorry if I didn't include yours.

Now, I cannot claim that this is the ultimate driving mix. There are songs on here that don't exactly demand highway cruising but that I abstractly wanted to include. Every mix tape is tainted with some portion of despotism. I can't legally provide anyone with a copy of the cd's, but I'm sure we can figure something out.

The mix is comprised of two cd's.

    Disc 1

    Mr. Blue Sky - ELO
    I'll Be Coming Around - The Bottle Rockets
    Bus to Beelzebub - Soul Coughing
    Race for the Prize - The Flaming Lips
    Never There - Cake
    My Favorite Game - The Cardigans
    Take A Picture - Filter
    Feel Good Inc. - Gorillaz
    Fat Bottomed Girls - Queen
    Rebel Rebel - David Bowie
    Pump it Up - Elvis Costello
    Way Out West - Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire
    Add It Up - Violent Femmes
    I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones
    Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond


    Disc 2

    Down to the Waterline - Dire Straits
    Clocks - Coldplay
    These Days - Nico
    The Girl from Ipanema - Stan Getz & Astrud Gilberto
    Melissa - Allman Brothers Band
    Speeding Motorcycle - Yo La Tengo
    Pepper - Butthole Surfers
    Time of the Season - The Zombies
    Green Onion - Booker T and the MG's
    Walk on the Wild Side - Lou Reed
    Pink Moon - Nick Drake
    Babylon - David Gray
    1979 - Smashing Pumpkins
    Life on Mars? - Seu Jorge
    In the Meantime - Space Hog

If you notice a lack of Bob Marley in these lists, it is because I fucking hate Bob Marley. That was the only suggestion I immediately dismissed. Thanks for all the other suggestions. You have introduced me to a lot of new music and have improved my commute immensely.

Feel free to trash on my compilation; you know you're just dying to. In the words of our nation's spiritual leader, "Bring it on."

10 Comments:

Blogger RJW said...

i can't believe you have no crows and no country. sheesh. and what's with the funky highlighting, is it there just to drive me crazy trying to figure out if there's a pattern or secret code.

7/28/2005 7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, isn't this guy in the fbi or something?

7/28/2005 8:16 PM  
Blogger Skim said...

Yeah, thank God he's not an NSA man. But that's ok. I don't want the fed to know nuthin'.

7/28/2005 9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what about Burning Spear? and no Clapton? and why no cross town traffic (hendrix). also why include a ramones song that was on an album that signaled the the death of their music. enough trashing? ive got loads more.

7/28/2005 9:25 PM  
Blogger Skim said...

Good for you. Glad to see that you know a lot about rock music. I must admit that I've never even heard of Burning Spear. You've got me there. However, did you even read my guidelines for suggestions? They must be driveable songs. That's it. I don't really care about the historical significance or the "coolness" of the songs I picked (did you see that I put David Gray on the list?). I listened to the Hendrix song you suggested. It sucks. Did you only suggest it because it talks about driving? Keep your load.

7/28/2005 11:59 PM  
Blogger Skim said...

Okay, so further listening of Crosstown Traffic reveals that it does not in fact suck. So what. I missed it. Leave me alone.

7/29/2005 10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yah, you really can't knock on Hendrix...ever...

7/30/2005 6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have Girl from Ipanema stuck in my head now.

8/01/2005 2:31 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

I think my recommendation would probably consist of soundtracks, which few people like.

8/02/2005 4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the inclusion of Seu Jorge. All of his stuff from "the life aquatic..." was great.

8/02/2005 9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home