Monday, January 16, 2006

I need help

I am applying for an internship with "This American Life", a radio show broadcast from Chicago's public radio station WBEZ. This program is the reason I wanted to get into broadcast journalism, and working for them would be something beyond my wildest dreams. Yet, I still dare to dream, and in fact, I desperately want to get it. So, I'm working on my application to make myself as attractive as possible. Easy, right? I need help.

The application is remniscent of U of C's in that it requires some creativity. I'm ok for most of it, but there is one thing that's giving me some trouble. I'm supposed to write about three shows or segments that didn't work as well as others. I have one. It's incredibly difficult for me to remember radio pieces that are unremarkable. I think everyone remembers the really good ones, but aren't we supposed to forget the bad ones?

The only ones I can think of to write about are ones that were compiled on a "This American Life" feature cd. Obviously, they liked them if they put them on the damn cd, so I can't pick those. I'm spending hours scouring the archives, listening to old broadcasts wherever I can pick up a free wireless internet signal. I know that some of you must listen to the show (ahem, Kristy). Do you have any suggestions for less-than-stellar shows or segments I should check out? I eagerly await any suggestions. Meanwhile I'll be sitting in random coffee houses with my humongous headphones on, laughing (and then cursing) at things only I can hear.

3 Comments:

Blogger RJW said...

i hear plenty of crappy pieces on all things considered but sorry, don't listen to this american life.

1/17/2006 4:00 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

Settling the Score
11/11/05
Episode 301

Its isn't like this piece was crappy... i just wasn't too interested (and I heard it twice) I thought by the intro that it owuld be much more compelling than it was.

1/18/2006 8:45 AM  
Blogger Skim said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I listened to both of them, but I kinda liked them. I went with some choices from earlier in the program's repertoire.

2/01/2006 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home