Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Because I'm too desperate not to try

Oh God, I just got off the phone with him, and I'm almost too jittery to type. He said he was emailing me and that we should, "talk real soon." Have you ever been in a conversation that you desperately needed to escape -- because you were sure you were going to be caught in your many lies -- so you maybe agreed to do something; but that's even worse, because it threatens to expose you as a liar, but in a much more official setting?

So, I told him I'm a freelance journalist. So what? I am. Everyone is. It's just nothing of mine's ever been published. Actually, to be fair, I didn't say I was a freelancer -- I just said that I'd seen his ad looking for freelancers. It was one-hundred percent his assumption. I just wanted information on what kind of stories he's looking for and maybe how much he pays. But then he kept asking me questions about my "strengths," and before I could confess that I didn't have any, he rattled off all the qualified people he had writing for him, all of whom are much more qualified than I. So maybe when he wanted to know my field of expertise, I got flustered and said "Science." How was I supposed to know he'd get all excited about it?

Now I've got to come up with some sort of clip to send him so he'll be fooled into thinking I actually am a writer. His target audience is 35-60 year old business owners: CEO's, vp's, directors, etc. How am I supposed to write for that crowd? I review South Park episodes for Chrissake! I suppose it's my fault for not reading the ad closely enough. NOW I see the part about it being a "business" magazine.

He also said that since biotech is such, "an up and coming field in San Diego," that he, "might be able to get you in each month." I now have five weeks to submit an article to him. My first-ever writing class still has seven weeks left in it. Let's hope these next couple of classes hold a wealth of information.

Anybody know about a big story in the sciences?

4 Comments:

Blogger RJW said...

i made some, but could've made a LOT of money on Amylin Pharmaceuticals which is a biotech company in San Diego. they make diabetes medicine out of lizard spit. you can write your story on the prospective next reptile spit to save mankind. i think the answer is in snake venom.

4/18/2006 7:26 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

NPR had a story this morning about memory researchers and a woman who is being featured in some science mag. she can vividly remember every detail of every day of the past 25 years of her life. it was a pretty cool story too bad my train sucks and i couldn't hear the end of it.

4/19/2006 6:52 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

it is in snake venom! pbs had a special on venom last week.

4/19/2006 10:26 PM  
Blogger Stephen Grey said...

Check into Peregrine Pharmaceuticals, in Tustin, CA.

They have a drug in trials called Tarvacin which appears to be extremely effective against both cancer AND viruses, with almost no side effects.

They're talking about 99% remission rates in breast and lung cancer.

4/20/2006 4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home