Friday, April 14, 2006

Good for a free serving of the Meatsweats

It's Friday and time to announce the week's best entry. I had a tough time deciding, as it's been a good week of blogs. I liked posts about Megan's run-ins with softball-jackasses, Frank's begrudging respect for a terrorist's ideals, Pete's adventures ala Luigi's Mansion, and just about everything else everyone's posted. How to decide?

And then I happened to check the Perry Bible Fellowship. I eagerly anticipate each week's new strip, and it seemed to be taking Nicholas Gurewitch an extra long time to post this week's. However, the wait was worth it. The Throbblefoot Aquarium is a reference to Edward Gorey's The Object-Lesson. Gurewitch's tribute to Gorey is fantastic not because of its reproduction of Gorey's style, but because it's actually funnier than anything I've seen of Gorey's own work. I've always been too disturbed by The Gashlycrumb Tinies to fully enjoy it. I'm sure the purists will disagree with me and say that the true humor in Gorey is, in fact, his disturbing mind. I just think drowning cats is infinitely more palatable than drowning Ida. Not that Gurewitch isn't a bit dark himself.

For originally introducing me to the PBF, I've added Yuh Wen to my list of blogs and made her this week's winner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home